Life Group Questions
Read Nehemiah 8:1-18
To focus on challenges in understanding the Bible:
The people gather to hear the word of God, but there is lots more going on than just reading. Different people are involved in interpreting and instructing the people on what it means, encouraging people and directing a response to what is said.
- What challenges do you find in understanding the Bible?
- What helps you to understand what you are reading?
- How confident are you that you know how to respond to what the Bible is saying?
- How confident are you in communicating what the Bible says to others?
To focus on being aware of our own assumptions:
In this passage, the scripture is read, interpreted, and understood by the people, but then Ezra, Nehemiah and the Levites re-interpret the ‘big idea’ based on the people’s response – v.9-12.
- What are some of the key overarching truths about God and us that we need to keep in mind whatever passage we are reading?
- How can our pre-existing beliefs and assumptions cause problems as we are interpreting the Bible?
- How can we deal with these things better when we are reading together?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of discussing Bible passages in a group setting?
- How can we help each other in making and maintaining a response to what we have read?
- Can a single passage lead different people to different responses? Why or why not?
Pray for growing confidence in understanding God’s word, greater responsiveness to His leading and for joy in living out His will.